Determine your Rug Budget
Rug prices will range from a few hundred dollars and can also cost thousands of dollars. Of course, there’s a huge difference in the quality and longevity of a rug that sells for $499 and the same size rug that costs $4999 or more. Decide what is most affordable for you and which quality will suite your needs best.
Refer to the Rug Information page for more information about rug qualities.
Determine your Rug Size and Shape
Nothing spoils a beautiful décor more than a rug that’s either too small or too big for your room. Our staff is available to help you determine what size(s) might work best for your space. In the meantime, here are some tips:
1. Try to remember that rugs come in a variety of standard sizes and are mostly rectangular shaped. Square and Octagon rugs are not as common as Round rugs. The more specific your measurements are the more limited your selection will be. Of course, custom-made options are always available.
2. Your room dimensions, as well as, furniture setting and placement will play a big role in what size rug will work best for your space. Please keep in mind that the following advice is general and may not apply in every situation. Other options are available. Our interior experts can help you with any questions you might have.
In any Great, Living, and Family Room the minimum recommended amount of floor showing should be -give or take- 12 to 8 inches. The maximum recommended amount of floor showing should be -give or take- 2 and a half to 3 feet. For Dining Rooms and Eating Areas use a rug large enough to allow the chairs to be pulled in and out while still on the rug. Usually that means the rug should be at least 2 feet wider on all four sides of your table. Again, exceptions can be made to this rule depending on the size of your room. Bedroom rug sizes can vary also, depending on whether you wish to use one or multiple rugs on your floor.
View the image above to help guide your rug selection process.
Determine your Rug Colors and Style
It is most ideal to build your room around the rug. Choosing your rug first will give you a beautiful color palette that has already been put together for you, however not everyone has the option to start from scratch. If you already have most of your room decorated, bring in your color swatches, fabric samples, cushions, wall-paper samples, paint swatches, window treatments etc… to begin the hunt. Pictures can help too. Here are a few important tips:
1. KEEP AN OPEN MIND! Sometimes having already pre-determined exactly what you want in your head can limit your choices. Don’t be afraid to explore wild card options. You might surprise yourself when a rug you thought never would have worked in the first place ends up being THE ONE (we’ve seen it happen more times than we can count)!
2. Understand how colors work. You don’t always have to match colors perfectly. Colors compliment one another in many different shades and tones. Adding compatible new accent colors to your décor can give your room unique and exciting character.
3. To Pattern or not to Pattern. This is a question that can be better answered with fabric samples in hand. Personal taste is going to play a large role in what pattern and style you may like for your home. We carry Solids, Contemporary, Transitional and Traditional style rugs. Bring in your samples and our staff will help you find the perfect rug.